Relief rescuers readied to enter the Clymer No. 1 mine of the Clearfield Bituminous Coal Corp. at Sample Run on Aug. 26, 1926, after an explosion ripped through the interior of the mine, killing 44.
The victims were taken to Clymer Machine Shop on Adams Street, where they were laid out on makeshift tables to be identified.
A memorial with the names of the 44 miners killed is located in front of the Clymer Borough building on Sixth Street.
County historian John Busovicki, of Clymer, submitted this photo. (Submitted photo)