ARMAGH — United School District board members recognized four United students at Indiana County Technology Center who recently placed first in the District 8 SkillsUSA competitions and will represent the district at the state competitions in Hershey in April.
The SkillsUSA District 8 competitions were hosted by ICTC on Jan. 20. Those who will be moving on to the state competitions are Shawn Naworol, automotive technology; Kaitlyn Smith, culinary arts; Waylin McGeary, electrical construction; and Ian McCleary, HVACR.
United student Tom McDowell, masonry, placed third.
SkillsUSA is a national student organization that develops employability, participatory and leadership skills to complement the occupational skills developed by students in technical education classrooms or work-based learning sites, according to its website.
In other action, the board:
• Approved an agreement between the district and Pressley Ridge to provide special education services from Jan. 21 to June 4 for a semester basis rate of $29,250 and any other related service costs as needed for a high school student.
• Hired Amy Kirsch as a long-term Pre-K substitute to fill a temporary vacancy in the position held by Kayla Graham, who is on an approved leave of absence without pay Feb. 28 through May 4 for six weeks or less.
• Approved a request from Francine Ressler to transfer 20ﾽ sick days from Portage Area School District. Ressler was hired in December as a high school special education teacher to replace Marilyn Nesmith.
• Approved the transfer of paraprofessional Sophia Harkleroad to the elementary school, as there was no longer a need for her services at the high school.
• Approved Kali Haney, RN, as a substitute nurse for the current school year.
• Approved a request for Berkheimer Associates to acquire Pennsylvania Department of Revenue Wage Tax Information for 2012 to aid in collection of district wage tax and approved submitting delinquent per capita taxes to Berkheimer for collection.
• Authorized the finance director to bid the following: athletic equipment/supplies, industrial arts equipment/supplies, art supplies, vo-agricultural supplies, janitorial supplies and general supplies.
• Appointed Ron Saffron as the district’s solicitor from February 2014 to February 2015 for an annual retainer of $6,000, with additional services at $85 per hour as needed.
• Approved Scott Boring as the assistant varsity football coach at $3,201.03; Sean Mack as the assistant football coach at $3,201.03, and Kenneth Main as the junior high assistant football coach at $2,057.80.
• Accepted donations of $200 from Joseph Maintenance Service Inc. and $50 from Todd Surloff for the Elementary Gifted Program.
• Accepted an anonymous donation of $2,349 for the purchase of junior high boys’ basketball uniforms.
• Approved the 2014-15 school calendar, with the first student day set for Aug. 27 and tentative last student day scheduled for June 5, 2015.
• Approved an activity request from Patricia Berezansky to attend the Pennsylvania Association of Federal Program Coordinators at Seven Springs from April 27 to 29 at $884.08.
• Approved activity requests from Tim Riskus and Sam Buzzinotti to attend the PIAA Wrestling Tournament in Hershey from March 5-8 at $1,740. Qualifying students will attend.
• Approved an activity request from Ben Saylor to attend PMEA Region II Band at Leechburg High School from March 12-15 at $685. Four students will attend.
• Approved an activity request from Kristie Good to attend the State Legislative Leadership Conference in Harrisburg from March 9-11 at $450. Three students will attend.
• Approved an activity request from Acey Gongaware to attend the All-State Chorus/PMEA State Conference in Hershey from March 26-29 at $1,670. One student will attend.
• Approved activity requests from John Dunn, Amy Shellhammer, Darlene Sexton, Lorraine Allman, Laurie Deem and James Cawley to attend the eighth-grade field trip to Washington, D.C., on May 22 at no cost to the district.
• Approved an activity request from Kimberly Ray and Addy Stewart, on behalf of the senior class, to attend the senior class trip to Sandusky, Ohio, on May 23 at no cost to the district.
• Approved the PPT (Pregnant and Parenting Teens) Program with ARIN at $900.
• Approved Amy Rager as a substitute bus/van driver and Jenny Naler as a substitute van driver for the current school year.
• Approved a building usage request from Shawna Nibert on behalf of Girl Scout Cadet Troop 46388 to use the elementary gymnasium and cafeteria on March 21 from 5 to 9 p.m. for a dance for grades 4-6.