Information for this column is provided by the Indiana County Department of Human Services.
• AARP Tax Aide Program provides tax form preparation and assistance for all taxpayers with moderate to low income. Taxes will be done by appointment only at Aging Service’s social centers. The next program will be held from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at the Oak Place, 1055 Oak St., Indiana, (724) 349-4500.
• Christos Clothes Closet provides free clothing for adults and children from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at Homer City United Presbyterian Church, 40 E. Elm St., Homer City. Use the red door behind the Dollar Store. For more information, call (724) 479-2695.
• Community Kitchen will provide free meals from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday at Penn Run Christian Outreach Center. For information, call Cindy Briggs at (724) 397-9498. Community kitchen is also looking for volunteers to help prepare and serve meals.
• Aging Services is holding a Thrift Shop from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Indiana Social Center, 1001 Oak St., Indiana. Donations of gently used clothing will be accepted.
• Katie’s Closet provides free clothing for adults and children from 9 to 11 a.m. and 5 to 7 p.m. Monday upstairs at Zion Lutheran Church, Church and Sixth streets, Indiana.
• Souper Friday is held at the Chevy Chase Community center every Friday from 1 a.m. to 1 p.m., 640 N. Fifth Ave., White Township. This is a feeding program to help families in need. There will be hot, healthy meals, education on nutrition and referrals to agencies. The soup kitchen is open from October to May. Donations are accepted.
• It’s Dinner Time is a free feeding program to meet the needs of low-income families, children ages 2 to 18 and their parents. Children and their parents enjoy a hot meal, socialization, educational opportunities and more. For more information and to register, call (724) 463-0674.
• The Salvation Army offers Kids Supper Club every Tuesday. Join them for a meal, fellowship, activities, workshop and Ark of Learning, free one-on-one tutoring sessions for children in grades K though 12 in most subjects. For more information, call (724) 465-2530.
• The Pennsylvania Department of Health is offering adult and child vaccines and immunizations free or for $5 per poverty guidelines on Monday by appointment only. This is for an adult or child who does not have insurance or has insurance that does not cover the cost of the vaccine. Vaccines and immunizations include those for shingles, chickenpox, MMR, tetanus, meningitis, HPV, polio, pneumonia, hepatitis B and hepatitis A. Free and confidential HIV and syphilis testing is also available. To schedule an appointment or for more information, call (724) 357-2995.
• All About Baby is a three-hour workshop that focuses on getting to know your baby, along with visits to the doctor, immunizations, bath time, fussiness, safety, child care and infant nutrition. For more information, call IRMC at (724) 357-8088.
• Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program is a group exercise program designed specifically for people with arthritis to help increase joint flexibility and range of motion. The group meets at 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Indiana Regional Medical Center’s Community Service Suite. For more information, call (724) 357-8088.
• Adoption Support, Catholic Charities, provides meetings based on need. For information, call (724) 463-8806.
• Cancer Support Group, (724) 248-1814; The Phoenix Support Group meets every week, call for location and time.
• Crohn’s and Colitis Support Group is available through Excela Health. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Community Psychiatric Centers Parent Support Group offers speakers on autism, ADHD, behavior, dyslexia and depression one Monday per month in Blairsville. Register at (724) 850-7200.
• Diabetes Support Group provides a dietitian and clinical nurse specialists to help people with diabetes develop and practice self-management. Call IRMC at (724) 357-8088.
• Epilepsy Education and Support is available for parents of children diagnosed with Epilepsy. For more information, call (800) 361-5885 in Pittsburgh, (814) 262-7494 in Johnstown, or the Excela Health Call Center at (877)771-1234.
• Grandparents as Parents provides information and support to family members who are actively involved in the lives of others’ children through ARIN IU 28. Child care is available. For information and to find out when and where the next session is, call Andrea at (724) 463-5300, ext. 1235.
• Keep on Dropping is a free weight management support group to keep those who have lost weight recently motivated and are on track to continue to lose. Join a team of coaches at 9:30 a.m. the third Friday of the month at the IRMC Institute for Healthy Living. For more information, call (724) 357-8088.
• ICD Support Group is for those with an implantable cardiac defibrillator and their support people. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Insulin Pump Therapy Support Group is held quarterly at Excela Health Latrobe Hospital. Call (877) 771-1234 for more information.
• Mothers of Preschoolers, or MOPS, provides Christian-based groups with opportunities to make friends with other moms and share encouragement and practical tips for surviving the preschool years. For mothers of preschoolers from birth to age 5 and expectant mothers. Groups meet as follows:
— Blairsville Free Methodist Church, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., first and third Wednesday, with a $25 registration fee for MOPS International (scholarships available). For more information, call (724) 459-5255.
The Summit Church, Indiana, 9:15 a.m., second and fourth Wednesdays, (724) 349-8180.
• Moms and Babes support and play group meets from 10 to 11:30 a.m. every Wednesday at Indiana Regional Medical Center’s UrgiCare Center, second floor, classrooms A&B. Registration is not required. For information, call (724) 357-7496.
• NarAnon “Gardeners for Growth” family support group meets 7:15 to 8:15 p.m. Wednesdays at The Open Door, 665 Philadelphia St. Have you been affected by a loved one’s addictive drug use? Share your experience with others, find strength and hope, and learn from one another on how to deal with the pain and heartbreak that comes with loving an addict. Visit www.nar-anon.org for help.
• One Stitch at a Time, a knitting and sharing hour, will be offered Tuesday at IRMC’s Women’s Imaging Center Library at 10 a.m. This hour is for women in cancer treatment or those who are moving beyond cancer. Call (724) 357-8081.
• Nurturing Parent Program, through the Child Advocacy and Relationship Enhancing Center, Indiana, provides general information on child discipline, nurturing, child development, parents of teens support and nurturing oneself as a parent. For dates and times, call (724) 463-8595.
• Spinal Cord Injury Support Group meets at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the HealthSouth Harmarville Rehabilitation Hospital. For more information, call (412) 828-1300.
• Weight Watchers provides information on weight loss for a fee. For more information, call (800) 651-6000 or visit www.weightwatchers.com.
• The Evergreen Boys and Girls Club’s Ruby Tuesday’s Community Give Back program will be held Thursday. Fliers can be picked up from the Boys and Girls Club and presented to your Ruby Tuesday’s server to donate 20 percent of your purchase to the agency. For the flier and more information, visit www.evergreenbgc.org.
• American Red Cross’s Paint the Town Red Gala will be held 5 to 9:30 p.m. Thursday p.m. at the Indiana Country Club. The evening will feature live and silent auctions, amazing door prizes and more. A $20 minimum donation per person is requested. Call (724) 465-5678 for more information.
• Bowser-Minich Bereavement Support Services offers a bereavement lending library open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, or by appointment. Call (724) 349-3100 or (888) 923-5550.
• C. Frederick Bowser Funeral Home, Homer City, offers support services through an interactive website for bereavement and grief support literature at www.bowserfh.com.
• Compassionate Friends, a support group for bereaved parents, meets Tuesday from 7:30 to 9 p.m. at Harrold Zion Lutheran Church, Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Coping with Loss Grief Support Group is a six-week series held at various community locations. Call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Curran Funeral Home Grief Support Group, 701 Salt St., Saltsburg. Call (724) 639-3911 for dates, times and location.
• GRASP, or Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing, offers support and sources of help for families and individuals who are in bereavement due to a substance misuse death.
The group meets at The Open Door. For more information or to register, call (724) 762-3344, email email@example.com or visit www. grasphelp.org.
• Graystone Church GriefShare is a 13-week seminar and support group for people who are grieving the death of someone close to them. Sessions are offered in the spring and the fall from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the church library. Registration is not necessary and participants may join at any time in the series. Call (724) 349-5556 for the date of the next session.
• Highmark Caring Place, through the Caring Foundation for Children, Pittsburgh, offers support groups weekly or biweekly for grieving children, adolescents and families. Call (888) 224-4673.
• John A. Lefdahl Funeral Home offers a bereavement support group open to the public. Call (724) 463-4499.
• Hopeful Hearts, a service of the VNA of Indiana County, is a child-focused family bereavement support center. Hopeful Hearts provides peer support at no cost for all family members when someone close to the family has died. Families meet biweekly in a safe, caring and confidential environment. For more information about this program or volunteer opportunities, call (724) 349-3888 or (877) 349-3888.
• Pregnancy Loss Support Group provides support for families who are grieving the loss of their baby through miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth or newborn death. Call (877) 771-1234.
• Rairigh-Bence Funeral Home Inc. offers a support group and a bereavement lending library with booklets, videos, etc.
• Richard Shoemaker Funeral Home Support Group, Blairsville, (724) 459-9115; information and support offered by phone.
• Robinson-Lytle funeral home offers a bereavement library with books, videos and other information for adults and children. Call (724) 349-9700.
• Sharing Grief Support Group is offered from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. every first and third Thursday of the month. Call (724) 349-2000.