EAST WHEATFIELD TOWNSHIP — United school board directors are looking into adding more security cameras to the high school.
Board members on Tuesday approved a quote from MVS Security Services for $2,128.75 for installation of six cameras, with necessary connectors, hardware and labor to install and tie into the current video surveillance system included in the cost.
The cameras are for some areas in the high school where administrators think additional surveillance is needed, Superintendent Barbara Parkins said, adding that there are times when issues are reported and administrators can’t see the area on the current video system because it’s too far away.
In other business Tuesday, the board:
• Recognized Emma Arblaster, Hannah Brown, and Ashley and Jordan Penrose, who placed first in their divisions at the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science competition Feb. 26 at Slippery Rock University. They will participate in the state competition at Penn State University in May.
• Recognized junior Tyler Oliver, who ended his season placing seventh in the 195-pound weight class in the PIAA state wrestling tournament March 6 in Hershey. Oliver won a District 6 championship and took second in his class at the Southwest Regional competition before heading to states, and finished this season with a record of 33-6. His career record is 80-23.
• Approved a resolution approving the ARIN general operating budget for the 2014-15 school year, and United’s share of $35,806.
• Approved a quote from K&K Plumbing Co. Inc. for $3,625 for the installation of a mop sink at the elementary school.
• Approved budget transfers of $25,800, $140,485 and $49,000, all for fuel. Parkins said the district underestimated its fuel usage for this year, as it was based on past trends.
• Approved the following substitute teachers for the 2013-14 school year:Sonya Seitz, art K-12; Amy Kirsch, special education PK-8 and grades PK-4; and Lindsay Lovrich, social studies 7-12.
• Adjusted the salary for Sean Mack, assistant football coach, to credit years of service, to $3,460.95 for 2014-15.
• Accepted the retirement, with regret, of Randall Rearick from his position of high school science teacher, effective June 30 or the conclusion of the 2013-14 school year. Rearick was with the district for 21 years. Board member Robert Dill was the only dissenting vote.
• Accepted the resignation of Brittany Miller from her supplemental position of junior high girls’ assistant volleyball coach effective immediately.
• Approved an activity request for either Ben Saylor or Acey Gongaware to attend the PMEA All-State Band Competition in Hershey from March 26-29 at $1,490.50, with budgeted funds available. One student will attend.
• Approved an activity request from Kristie Good to attend the FRC Robotics Competition at California University of Pennsylvania from March 26-29, at no cost to the district. Nineteen students will attend.
• Approved the Alice Paul House elementary programs offered to the elementary school at no cost to the district.
• Approved an agreement with Idlewild and the district for the 2013-14 school year picnic on May 24.
• Approved the appointment of Michael Blankenship and Harry Weimann as members of both the United Vocational Agricultural Occupational Advisory Committee and United Vocational Agricultural Local Advisory Committee, for three-year terms.