Numerous defendants have been named in criminal charges filed before Magisterial District Judge Guy Haberl, of Indiana.
Criminal complaints and affidavits of probable cause are not evidence of guilt in a criminal case. Defendants are entitled to legal representation and have the right to question the witnesses and evidence presented against them during preliminary hearings in the district court and at trials in the county court of common pleas. Charged are:
• Jessica M. Kantz, 29, of Dasey Lane, Indiana, charged Jan. 22 by Indiana Borough police with possession of a small amount of marijuana, possession of a controlled substance and a summary driving infraction at 8:24 p.m. Jan. 17 in the 500 block of Water Street.
Police observed Kantz’s vehicle leave a parking space without signaling and initiated a traffic stop. Kantz waived her right to a hearing and opted to face action in Indiana County Court on the charge of possession of a controlled substance. The remaining charges were withdrawn.
• Michael J. Kelly, 20, of Carlisle, Cumberland County, and Gary L. Brown Jr., 18, of Coatesville, Chester County, charged Jan. 27 by IUP police with possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia at 3:05 p.m. Oct. 11 in Ruddock Hall. Police responded to a report of marijuana being present in a room.
Kelly waived his right to a hearing and opted to face action in Indiana County Court. Brown’s possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance charge was changed to possession of a small amount of marijuana. Brown pleaded guilty to possession of a small amount of marijuana and was ordered to pay $670 in fines and costs. Brown’s drug paraphernalia charge was withdrawn.
• Adam A. Schmidt, 28, of Beaver, Beaver County, charged Jan. 23 by state police with DUI and three summary driving infractions at 2:53 a.m. Oct. 5 at the intersection of Gompers Avenue and Sixth Street.
Police observed Schmidt traveling in the wrong direction on a one-way street and initiated a traffic stop. Schmidt had a blood alcohol content of 0.269 percent, court papers show. Schmidt waived his right to a hearing and opted to face action in Indiana County Court.
• Possession of a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia charges against Matthew R. Haueisen, 21, of West Lawn, Berks County, and Lucas A. Conrad, 21, of Landenberg, Chester County, filed Jan. 14, were withdrawn Feb. 13.
• Endangering the welfare of a child, simple assault and harassment charges against Jeremy V. Helman, 33, of Indiana, filed Jan. 25, were withdrawn March 5.