Early morning fire displaces four
March 18, 2014 11:00 AM
Click for Image Gallery Click For Gallery

A fire heavily damaged a two-story house in Burrell Township early this morning, leaving four people without a home.

According to Black Lick Volunteer Fire Company Chief Tim Stipcak, the fire at 34 Ash St. was reported around 1:17 a.m.

He said the occupants were home at the time and evacuated after smelling something burning.

In addition to his department, firefighters from Blairsville, Homer City and Coral-Graceton responded. Stipcak said they were able to contain the fire to the second floor, but the first floor sustained water damage.

They remained at the scene for about 2 1/2  hours.

One Black Lick firefighter suffered a minor shoulder injury while battling the flames, Stipcak said.

He declined treatment, Stipcak said.

Stipcak said the fire is being considered an accident and appears to have started because of an electrical malfunction on the second floor.

Stipcak said the house, which was uninsured, was the home of four people, three adults and a minor.

The residents are being assisted by the Indiana County chapter of the American Red Cross.

Disclaimer: Copyright © 2017 Indiana Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.