The events listed in “It’s Happening Here” are in Indiana unless otherwise noted.
• The Easter Bunny will visit the Indiana Mall, 2334 Oakland Ave., Indiana, from 1 to 4 p.m.
The Pennsylvania Department of Health Immunization Clinic will be held from 9 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. at the Indiana County State Health Center, 75 N. Second St. Children are eligible for vaccines at low or no cost if they are underinsured, their insurance does not cover the vaccine, or if they are uninsured. The maximum cost for a vaccine is $5, payable by check or money order only.
For more information, call (724) 357-2995.
• The IUP Percussion Ensemble, featuring percussion studio students, will perform at 8 p.m. in Fisher Auditorium, IUP Performing Arts Center.
For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
• IUP Faculty in Recital will perform at 8 p.m. in Gorell Recital Hall, second floor, Sutton Hall, IUP. Ed Fry on piano and Carl Rahkonen on violin will present a concert of Baroque music featuring the works of Marin Marais, Henry Eccles, Georg Philipp Telemann and J.S. Bach. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
Tubaphonium, an ensemble concert led by Zach Collins, will begin at 7 p.m. in Room 121, Cogswell Hall, IUP. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
• A presentation on Rain Barrels will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Blue Spruce Park Lodge, near Ernest. Jim Resh of the Conservation District will talk about the importance of rain barrels and show how to build one.
For more information, call (724) 463-5138 or visit www.evergreenconservancy.org.
• The Artists Hand Gallery will hold “Lit Night” from 6 to 8 p.m. at the gallery at 732 Philadelphia St., Indiana. The Espresso Bar will host its monthly Lit Night, an open mic night for writers to share their poetry, prose and performance. Come and share or listen. BYOB. For more information, visit www.theartistshandgallery.com.
• The eighth annual Carol Teti Memorial Organ Competition will be held at 1 p.m. at Zion Lutheran Church, corner of South Sixth and Church streets. The competition will feature performances by college-age students with a guest adjudicator. A reception will follow.
For more information, call (724) 357-2391
• A presentation on Electro-Fishing will be held at 2 p.m. at Yellow Creek State Park’s Environmental Learning Center, 170 Route 259, Penn Run. Join Eric Chapman, director of aquatic science for the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, for a shocking look into the life of trout populations. For more information, call (724) 357-7913.
• IUP voice studio students will perform works by Pagliacci during a recital at 4 p.m. in Gorell Recital Hall, second floor, Sutton Hall. For more information, visit www.iup. edu/livelyarts.
• IUP Bands in Concert will begin at 8 p.m. in Fisher Auditorium, IUP Performing Arts Center. Jason Worzbyt and Jack Stamp will direct a rousing performance by the IUP Symphony Band and Wind Ensemble.
For more information, visit www. iup.edu/livelyarts.
April 26 and 27
“It’s a Wonderful World” will be shown at 1 p.m. at the Jimmy Stewart Museum, 835 Philadelphia St. This 1939 production stars Jimmy Stewart, Claudette Colbert and Edgar Kennedy. A screwball comedy with Colbert as a runaway poetess and Stewart as a fugitive chased by cops.
For more information, visit www.jimmy.org.
• IUP Bands in Concert, featuring the concert band and brass ensemble, will perform at 2 p.m. in Fisher Auditorium, IUP Performing Arts Center. They’ll present a musical afternoon led by Stephanie Caulder, Jason Worzbyt and Christian Dickinson.
For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
• The Indiana Symphonic Winds in Concert will perform at 7 p.m. in Fisher Auditorium, IUP Performing Arts Center. The ensemble is affiliated with the newly created Community Music School.
For more information, call (724) 357-2391.
• The Todd Bird Club will meet for a Yellow Creek State Park Outing at 8 a.m. at the park office, 170 Route 259, Penn Run. Everyone, from beginner to expert birder, is welcome. If you have questions, contact Lee Carnahan at (724) 388-4667 or Roger or Margaret Higbee at (724) 354-3493.
• The HoodleBug Brass, IUP’s brass quintet in residence, will perform at 7 p.m. in Room 121, Cogswell Hall, IUP. Student quintets will perform at 6 p.m. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
• The Trans-Allegheny Trail’s “Trail Town Kick-off” event will begin at 6 p.m. at the Saltsburg Borough Building, 320 Point Street, Saltsburg. Learn how your community and businesses can get involved in becoming a trail town. RSVP to the event by contacting Will at email@example.com or (724) 216-9160, ext. 318.
The Kovalchick Convention and Athletic Complex, 711 Pratt Drive, White Township, will hold Family Feud at 7:30 p.m. in the Ed Fry Arena. Tickets are $41.50, $32 and $27. For more information, visit www.kovalchickcomplex.com.
The IUP Trumpet Ensemble, under the direction of Kevin Eisensmith, will perform a variety of works at 8 p.m. in Room 121, Cogswell Hall. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
• The Kiwanis Club will hold a Trivia Night at 6 p.m. at the Rustic Lodge, Oakland Avenue, White Township. There will be cash prizes, a basket auction and gift certificates. Entry is $30 per person and includes free food, beer and soda. For more information, call (724) 349-6302.
• Jake Owen’s Days of Gold Tour will come to the Kovalchick Convention and Athletic Complex, 711 Pratt Drive, White Township, at 7 p.m. The evening will feature opening acts Parmalee and The Cadillac Three. For more information, visit www.kovalchickcomplex.com.
May 2 and 3
A Bluegrass Festival will be held at the Twolick Valley Rod and Gun Club, 487 Dogwood Road, Cherry Tree. Multiple bands will perform and camping is available. Call (724) 254-4649 for more information.
The IUP Music Theater and Opera Workshop will hold a concert at 8 p.m. in Gorell Recital Hall, second floor of Sutton Hall, IUP. Under the direction of IUP voice faculty, workshop students will perform a variety of works in the music theater and opera genre. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
• The YMCA’s fourth annual Spring Clean Out will be held from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 60 N. Ben Franklin Road, White Township. Set up will begin at 6:30 a.m. Vendor spots are available. For more information, call (724) 463-9622.
• Smicksburg’s Spring Open House will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visit area businesses brimming with new merchandise. For more information, visit www.smicksburg.net.
• A Community Baby Shower will be held from noon to 2 p.m. at the Indiana Free Library, 845 Philadelphia St. New and expecting parents are invited to attend. For more information, visit (724) 465-8841.
• The fifth annual Authors of Indiana County and Beyond will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. at Windgate Winery, 1998 Hemlock Acres Road, Smicksburg. More than 25 authors will be present for meet-and-greet opportunities. For more information, visit www.windgatevineyards.com.
• IUP’s Jazz Festival will begin at 7:30 p.m. in Fisher Auditorium, IUP Performing Arts Center. Featuring the Honors Jazz Band, the IUP Jazz Band, led by Keith Young, and the IUP Jazz Ensemble, led by Kevin Eisensmith, will perform a gala concert and will be joined by special guest conductor Alan Baylock. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
The Western Pennsylvania Mushroom Club will hold a Morel Mushroom Walk from noon to 4 p.m. at the Pine Ridge County Park, Burrell Township. Slides will illustrate morels as well as poisonous look-alikes. Proper cleaning, storing and cooking techniques will be covered. After small group walks, participants will re-group to identify all the mushrooms that were found. Registration is required by calling (724) 463-8636. For more information, visit www.indianacountyparks.org.