JIM THORPE (AP) — A northeastern Pennsylvania school district’s decision to put an end to prayer at a Veterans Day event is drawing objections from some past participants.
The Times News of Lehighton reported Friday that the chaplain of a local VFW post is staying away from the event at an elementary school in Jim Thorpe.
Veteran Gil Henry says his heart is broken by the decision, which came after the Freedom from Religion Foundation contacted the school district about last year’s event.
School district solicitor Gregory Mousseau tells the paper the district is grateful for the event but it’s determined not to violate the constitution.
Navy veteran Frank Sebelin says he’s also boycotting the event, calling it a matter of “1 percent of people telling the other 99 percent what to do.”