10 Things to Know for Today: April 30
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. DEATH TOLL EXPECTED TO SOAR FOR BANGLADESH COLLAPSE
One estimate said as many as 1,300 may be found dead in the rubble, as emergency workers dig toward the ground floor.
2. POWERFUL EXPLOSION IN SYRIA
The blast in the capital of Damascus caused casualties a day after Syria's prime minister escaped an assassination attempt.
3. THE HIDDEN JOLT IN SNACK FOOD
Food makers have added caffeine to gum, potato chips and candy, prompting the FDA to investigate their safety.
4. FBI SEARCHES HOME OF MARATHON SUSPECTS' IN-LAWS
Tamerlan Tsarnaev's wife, Katharine Russell, has been staying at the Rhode Island home, where officials were seen carrying away a bag labeled "DNA samples."
5. PASSING ON THE CROWN
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands abdicated the throne today after 33 years, making her son, Willem-Alexander, the country's first king since 1890.
6. JASON COLLINS SUPPORTED BY PRESIDENT, ATHLETES AFTER COMING OUT
Kobe Bryant tweeted he was proud of the 12-year NBA veteran and Obama called Collins after he became the first active NBA athlete to say he was gay.
7. ABORTION DOCTOR'S MURDER TRIAL GOES TO JURY
Philadelphia prosecutors say Kermit Gosnell killed four babies because he didn't know how to perform abortions; the defense says he helped poor women without access to medical care.
8. COMPETING PORTRAITS OF JACKSON EMERGE
Lawyers for the pop star's mother call him a loving son and father, while an attorney for concert giant AEG Live said "no one, nobody, knew his deepest darkest secrets."
9. JABS ABOUT EX-GOVERNOR'S INDISCRETIONS AT CONGRESSIONAL DEBATE
Elizabeth Colbert Busch reminded Mark Sanford that he once used South Carolina taxpayer funds to leave the country for personal reasons, referring to his extramarital affair.
10. WHO THE TOP CONTENDERS FOR TONY AWARDS ARE
The British musicals "Kinky Boots," with Cyndi Lauper's music, and the Roald Dahl adaptation "Matilda" are locks for best musical nominations today.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.