BURRELL TOWNSHIP — The Blairsville-Saltsburg school board approved a list of supplemental contracted and volunteer positions for the 2019-2020 school year — but not the contract of Rick Artley, who was up to be renewed as Blairsville football head coach and Blairsville junior high boys’ basketball coach.
The vote on Artley’s positions stalled on a count of 4 to 4.
Members Linda Brown, Beverly Caranese, Anthony “Tim” Canzano and Molly Stiles voted against the motion. Rick Harper, Holly Hall, Holly Gibson and Marlene Joyce voted in favor. Michael Bartolini was absent.
Board members who voted against the motion provided no comment during the meeting as to what reasons factored into their decisions.
Harper, board president, said after the meeting that even though the motion for Artley didn’t pass, it could be revisited next month with a different outcome as members resolve whatever issues may have affected the vote.
Supplemental positions approved for Saltsburg were Calie Weimer, Saltsburg band front adviser; and Geoffrey Dixon, English department chairman, newspaper sponsor and senior class adviser.
Positions approved for Blairsville are as follows: James Buckles, athletic director; Mark DeMarines, varsity boys’ basketball head coach; Rebecca Miloser, junior high girls’ basketball coach, and Doug Smith, assistant coach; Kayla Machak, junior high volleyball coach, and Laura Thompson, assistant coach; Scott Stuchal, golf coach; Arianna Tripodis, varsity cheerleading assistant coach; Greg Kaylor, math department chairman; Kevin Lopata, science department chairman; Laura Thompson and James Buckles, student council co-advisers; and Ross Bish, assistant band director.
District-wide positions approved were Scott Stuchal, wrestling head coach; and James Buckles, varsity volleyball coach with Kayla Machak as assistant.
Supplemental positions approved for this year were Jocelynn Ziegmann, Blairsville Middle/High School musical music director; Tiara Stossel and David Rodkey, BSSD junior high track and field; BSSD softball volunteer coaches Brock Harsh, Erik Foust and David Oswald; and Jack Yard, Saltsburg baseball volunteer coach.
Salaries for these supplemental positions were not available.
In other business, the board:
• Voted to sell “obsolete or surplus” iPads to the public at the end of the school year. The iPads will be sold at market value on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Approved the school calendar for 2019-2020, with the first day for students on Aug. 21, and last day on May 28, 2020.
• Will purchase a new sound system from B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio for gyms on both sides of the district at a cost of $6,092.04.
• Approved a subscription for Edmentum Courseware for Spanish at a cost not to exceed $2,500.
• Accepted a Farm-to-Table grant of $3,013.31 for an initiative to be run by students with disabilities.
• Approved a variety of field trips and conference/workshop requests.
• Approved the retirement of Becky Halberg, payroll specialist/accounts payable, effective Friday. She has been with the district for 23 years.
• Hired Rose Stover as a paraprofessional and Maria Thomas as a 3.75-hour cafeteria worker.
• Approved the following substitutes and guest teachers: Jason Palazzi, elementary and mid-level math; and guest teachers Kaitlyn Bash, Linsey Stokes, Harold Repic and Vanessa Dickson.
• Approved the following long-term substitutes at a prorated salary of $30,000 per year, with additional benefits as agreed upon: Evan Boyko, Saltsburg Middle/High School, through the end of the school year; Felicia Watt, Blairsville High School, through the end of the school year; Jacqueline Underwood, Blairsville Elementary School, through the end of the school year; and Anna Bloom, Blairsville Middle School, from about April 23 through the end of the school year.
• Approved uncompensated leave for Marilyn McFarlin, paraprofessional; Carla Shirley, cafeteria aide; and Melinda Street, custodian.
• Approved the resignation request of Joe Naepsha, SMHS custodian, as of March 15.