Two people were treated for injuries suffered in a Wednesday afternoon fire at an apartment at 757 Maple St. in Indiana.
“It started in the kitchen,” Indiana Fire Association Chief Mike Empfield said as his crews and volunteers from Homer City were wrapping up a 45-minute job that centered around Apartment No. 9.
He said the 3:15 p.m. fire was brought under control quickly. Fans were blowing smoke out of the apartment, which had extensive fire and water damage.
Empfield said a state police fire marshal was being called in to determine a cause and the extent of damage.
Building owner Brian Szalkowski said doors to two adjacent apartments were forced in as part of efforts to deal with the fire.
The blaze may have reached the rafters but did not breech the ceiling. Szalkowski said concrete walls are in between each apartment.
A tenant said he was playing video games when he heard an explosion and then smelled fire. The tenant said he suffered burns to his head and was taken by Citizens’ Ambulance Service to Indiana Regional Medical Center along with another individual.
Clymer volunteers also were called but later sent to respond to a fire alarm at the Indiana Mall.
A rapid intervention team also was called to the Maple Street address as was Indiana Borough Police Department, which blocked off the 700 block of Maple Street while firefighters were on the scene.
Indiana Gazette photographer Teri Enciso contributed to this story.